Friday, March 6, 2009

It has been 5 days since Noah was admitted. I am hopeful that yesterday was his worst day. He has been on oxygen at 3 liters, 40% and unable to be weened off. He is just having such a hard time and my heart is breaking for him. His lung collapsed yesterday which sounds worse than it is. Sort of. Basically there is a clump of mucus in his lung that he cannot cough up for obvious reasons and as a result his lung is unable to inflate with air. They are doing chest PT every hour and had to stop feeding him because he just couldn't breathe and suck at the same time. They had to put an IV in but could not find a vein so the Dr. ended up placing the line in his neck. When I saw him yesterday I just lost it. I couldn't stop crying and just telling him how sorry I am. I am so sorry that I couldn't keep him in me longer so he would have more time to develop and that he has had to do all this growing on his own. I am sorry that he has to go through all this crap again when he finally was done with the monitors and sticks and pokes and prods. He is such a fighter. The worst part is there is nothing I can do. They will likely put a feeding tube in because he is clearly hungry and miserable. I went to see them this morning and his lung had resolved but the other then collapsed. He is so pale.
Justin is hanging in there. His case is not as bad but I am not sure he has hit his worst day yet. He had to go on oxygen this morning because he was having blue spells while he was eating. He is only on half a liter and hopefully will be off it in a day or so. He is still eating. The dr. said his case is much less severe as Noah's and hopefully he will fly through with this being as bad as it gets.
Mason is still home with us. He is doing well (as I knock wood). He is a little congested but basically doing well. He is eating and seems to be breathing fine. I watch him like a hawk waiting for him to get sick. Since he was able to get his second shot I am hopeful that he will pull through this with an incredibly mild case if not get through without getting the virus. But that is probably wishful thinking.
Logan has been home all week sick. He has a nasty cough still but has been improving. He is completely discombobulated. Since the paramedics were here Sunday to today his whole routine is totally disrupted and he just doesn't know what to make of all of this. He stopped eating for a couple days. probably his way of acting out. I am trying to spend time with him so he doesn't feel left out but I am torn between him, Mason and the hospital. I cannot cross contaminate him and Mason so I have to have different clothes on when touching both of them. My parents are in scrubs everyday and they usually take care of Mason since I am constantly covered in Logan germs. (not that Logan is a germ, that sounds bad but you get the idea). While i go to the hospital my parents have stayed with Mason and Logan and each take a kid rotating since Logan can be exhausting. He really is such a great kid though. So loving. He wants so much to play with Mason and I feel so bad yelling for him to stay away. He does get to kiss his feet though since Mason can't stick those in his mouth yet. Logan went to school today for a half day just to get him out of the house and to play with other kids. He is definitely bored at home and was glad to have the diversion. I missed him though and so he is home now napping. Which is really what I should be doing:-)
As I said, my parents have been amazing. We are so blessed to have them here to help. My sister Allison as well. They are so supportive and have been a God Sent. Our neighbors and friends also. Everyone has been so helpful bringing us food and helping with anything we need. We are so lucky to have such wonderful people in our lives. I know I say that all the time but it really is true. I am thankful everyday for the people in my life and for the beautiful children I am blessed with even if this has been the longest winter of my life. Only 4 more weeks of flu season. I cannot wait to take these babies out in the fresh air and show them off!!

2 comments:

amc said...

You & Bob are truly amazing...I love you both. The babies are fighters like their mommy & daddy and soon will be home and it'll be spring and this will all be a distant memory...xxooxoxo

gino215 said...

I am thinking of you all the time. I wish I was closer to help. My prayers are with you. Can not believe this is happen but as you said spring around the corner. Hopefully Noah can get off the o2 and start eating real soon. Call me if you want to chat. xoxoxoxo