Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Apparently we just can’t stay away from the hospital. It al started Thursday night. Logan had been starting to cough a bit with a runny nose. We had an eye dr. appt for the boys Friday morning. We dropped Logan off at school and headed o the appointment. I felt so bad leaving him there. I knew he didn’t feel good but I couldn’t take him with us. About halfway to the appt I called my sister Allison and asked if she could pick him up and watch him for the day. My parent flew in Thursday so the 3 of them picked him up and kept him at Allison’s for the day. I felt better knowing he was with family. He started to get a fever and slept on my mother’s lap for a few hours. He came home and was definitely warm. Friday night was horrible. Logan was up all night crying with a fever and a horrible cough. My sister stayed overnight to help because bob was in bed sick with a stomach virus. Saturday Logan was a bit better. At least his fever had broke. Fortunately my parents and sister were able to help us because we were both so tired. Saturday night was tough as well. Logan was up a lot and Bob was on triplet duty so neither of us slept much. Sunday morning we were feeding the babies and all of a sudden Noah turned blue. Bob was holding him and patted his back. I jumped up and started yelling his name moving him around. He was breathing but his color was not coming back. We kept talking to him and trying to get him to come back. He spit up a lot and burped which helped a little. I dialed the pediatrician and while I was on hold he had 2 more episodes turning blue and going a little limp. When I finally got through after 10 minutes on hold the nurse told me to call 911 and have them evaluate him. They came quickly and after looking at him determined he needed to get to the hospital. He wasn’t acting like himself. He wasn’t waking up and was generally lethargic. I rode in the ambulance with him. His color did start to come back on the ride but he still wasn’t waking up. We got to the ER and they started to evaluate him, had him on a monitor, drew blood etc. The dr. felt it was likely reflux related. As I was sitting there he did it again, started to turn blue and needed a lot of stimulation to come back. They decided to test for RSV even though he wasn’t presenting with RSV symptoms. Shockingly, he was positive. For those who don’t know, RSV is a respiratory virus that to adults is simply a cold but to infants it can cause a lot of breathing problems. Tons of snot and generally total anxiety for parents. They decided to admit him, repeat the sleep study to see if the brady’s were in fact related to feeding and evaluate him. Once we got him up to the room and settled bob and I decided to go home and get ourselves together. Shower, eat and then I would come back to the hospital and sleep over. My parents would stay overnight and help Bob out since Logan still wasn’t feeling well. About 30 minutes after we were home the dr. called to say that Noah had a couple more episodes of turning blue, dropping heartrate and oxygen level and they were going to move him to the PICU (pediatric ICU). I headed back to the hospital to stay with him. Around 10:30 I realized I had forgotten my coumadin. Since that is definitely a problem I had to drive home to get it, through the snowstorm. We decided Noah was in good hands and I had better just stay home. I spoke to his nurse and she told me she would stay in the room either him since he was her only patient.
I spent the entire night staring at Justin and Mason to see if they were going to start showing symptoms. Justin was definitely starting to get congested and I knew he was getting RSV. It is very contagious. I cannot thank my parents and sister enpough for all they have done over the past few days. Not sure what Bob and I would have done without their help. We decided to take him into the ER Monday morning and since we were taking him we would have Mason tested as well. Sure enough, Justin was positive and the dr. said it won’t be long before Mason is too even though he was negative at that point. He planned to send us home since Justin seemed to be doing ok but wanted to watch him for a little bit. He gave him an albuterol treatment and his heartrate jumped to 220. Very high. And it wasn’t coming down. Plus he was breathing faster. The dr. came back in and decided to admit him just to be cautious. Noah’s dr. was kind enough to take Justin onto his service so they are now in the same room. We have Mason at home and are trying to keep him from getting sick. It is strange not to have the babies. Logan is still sick. He was up at 3:30Am this morning and would not go back to bed. His cough is so bad and it just breaks my heart. Bob and I are eon our own tonight. Bob has to go back o work tomorrow so he will feed Mason at 11 and I will do the overnight shift. Mason goes to the pediatrician in the morning for his RSV shot and my parents will watch Logan who I refuse to send to daycare. It is so germ infested there and I wish I could just keep him home till spring. As I write this I am listening to Mason starting to get congested. I am really not sure how much more I ca n handle. I doubt I will sleep much tonight because I will wake up every so often checking his breathing. I am hopeful that Logan sleeps through the night or Bob is going to be very tired at work.
Thanks to everyone for their support and prayers. I have to get to bed now so I can get up around 1 for the night shift.

No comments: