Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The babies are 10 weeks old and have been home for 2 weeks tomorrow. We are definitely exhausted all the time. Let’s see what I can remember. We have a night nurse who comes on Tuesday s and we count the hours till she arrives because we can go to sleep for 6 hours straight. We had been trying to stick to the 4 hour feeding schedule but it just isn’t working. They seem to wake up sooner and are hungry. We tried to just push them the extra time but it was tough. So today we are all messed up. They are eating around 3-4 hours but we are feeding essentially on demand. They seem to wake at the same time and if they don’t we wake them. We shall see how this goes for us. Bob and I each take a night feed while the other sleeps. It takes about 90 minutes to get it all done. It is hard but doable. This way we can sleep for about 3 to 4 hours at a time. We have been truly blessed with a lot of support. My friend Kim has come several days to help and not only has it been truly helpful but selfishly I have enjoyed spending time with her. Today we took a walk around the lake while Bob stayed with the babies and I have to say, the fresh air was such a gift. It really can be exhilarating!! Bob’s sister has come to help and of course my sister Allison has been amazing. Seriously we are not sure what we would do without her. Our neighbors have been great. Lorraine and John’s daughter Sarah visited last week and they played with Logan a ton. He adores them and it was so helpful to us since we cannot focus on him alone anymore. He is so good with the babies and just wants to play with them. The weekends are tough when he is home all day and we can barely leave the house. I know he just wants to go outside and play and since we cannot take the babies out he spends a lot of the day in the house. A couple times he has moped around almost like he is sad that we aren’t playing with him. It breaks my heart. Thank you also to everyone who has brought us food. It is incredibly helpful to have dinner prepared for us. We don’t have time or quite honestly the space to cook. Our entire kitchen is covered with bottles, nipples, and pacifiers. We are so blessed with amazing neighbors!!As for the babies, Mason is a sleeper which is really great because if we had 3 Noah’s I would be pulling my hair out. Noah is awake a lot. More than I have seen any baby at his gestational age. He grunts and groans a lot. He is definitely more needy. It is actually a little funny but not so much in the middle of the night. Justin is so sweet and calm for the most part. He is patient while we get his bottle ready and usually is willing to wait for us to feed the other two. They all have reflux pretty bad and projectile vomit around once or twice a day. I feel so sad when they spit up their bottles. It probably is partially why they eat more often. They are all so beautiful and I just love them. I cannot believe how far they have come. I think back to when they were born and how tiny they were with all those wires and needles and breathing tubes. It has been such a crazy few months and we are so blessed to have them home with us. As challenging as it is sometimes, and it is challenging, we are so lucky. I can’t wait for spring when I can take them all outside and Logan can play with them. I am so sick of winter.My parents arrive tomorrow and I am excited. I can’t wait for them to see the babies and how big they are and also to see Logan and how amazing he is. I spoke to my mom today and she said her and my father gave up sleep for Lent. Which is good since they won’t be getting too much! Bob goes back to work Monday. I’m not sure how we are going to do it. I know he will need sleep in order to function at work but I cannot do both feedings and not sleep at all. Guess we will just keep doing the best we can.I have one more month on the blood thinners and then I plan to have several very large glasses of wine. Reply Forward

3 comments:

Lorraine & John said...

Those little guys are fantastic. Both John and I are very impressed with the Commack nursery and how you are coping. Enjoy having your mum and dad with you and make sure you send them back to Florida well and truly worn out!!!!
x

Sarah Lyall said...

Aw I'm so impressed that I got a mention! Thank you for letting me spend so much time with your babies when I was over. I love them to bits!

Lots of love x x x

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracey and Bob. I continue to follow the Commack Clan's Progress and hold you in my prayers.
Spring is coming. Hang in there!
Nancy Folsom