Wednesday, January 28, 2009

First off, Mason's elevated lab was an error. They repeated the test Monday morning and it was normal. The blood cultures also came back normal. They stopped the antibiotics and took the canula off. Better safe than sorry. That was great news. Monday and Tuesday I was able to get to the hospital. Today I worked all day so I didn't see them. Basically they are all doing very well. Mason is up to 4 pounds 11 ounces. He is taking the bottle periodically but gets very tired and isn't quite up to it all the time. Which is normal. I spoke to Christine today and she said he is still sating at around 91 which is low for his age. They are 35 weeks and he should really be up around 95-96 consistently. I noticed it while I was there too because I watch all 3 monitors and Noah and Justin hang around 98-100. They really only drop if the pulse ox isn't picking up right or right after they eat which is related to reflux. He is great otherwise and so she didn't indicate there is concern for chronic lung disease or anything. I asked why she thought it was happening and she really thinks it is because he is tired. She said we are asking him to do a lot which is so true. He is in a crib now so we are asking him to breath on his own, hold his temperature, take a bottle, and basically function like a full term baby. So as a result he is back on the canula but only at a half liter which is good. Hopefully that will get him over this hump and in a couple days he will be strong enough to come off. It is a little upsetting since he is so big and we tend to have such high expectations for him. I still keep thinking they aren't even supposed to be here yet and we are asking them to "grow up so fast" in a sense. Tomorrow I will talk to the doctor in a little more detail. My fear is this is some sort of indication of something seriously wrong. Although, he doesn't brady, tolerates his feeds, is taking the bottle a lot, pooping, peeing etc. So we will wait and see how he progresses.
Justin is doing great. He is still at 3 pounds 15 ounces. Hopefully he won't lose weight now that he is in a crib. Sometimes if the babies are moved too soon they expend too much energy trying to stay warm and so they burn calories and lose weight. He looks a little pale but he is pretty fair so that may be it also. He is just too cute and I think looks a lot like Logan. I breast fed him the other day. The lactation lady came to help me . I have to say, it was weird. I didn't really like it and I think it may be because they are so small. It just doesn't feel natural. I prefer to give them a bottle. It makes me feel a little guilty since it is supposed to be such a bonding experience for a mom and I didn't feel that way at all. I feel more bonded when I am snuggling with them and their cheek is next to mine. But it's fine since I have no intention of breast feeding 3 babies. That is way too ambitious for me. I continue to pump and so they are getting what they need. I was formula fed and I turned out fine. Relatively speaking anyway:-) I do feel guilty telling the nurses. Some of them clearly think i should try to do it with 3. Please, that lady who just had the octopluts is going to breast feed. Seriously, she will literally do nothing else all day and night. I'm not sure it is even possible. But I digress..
Noah is fabulous. He is up to 3 pounds 7 ounces. He is filling out nicely and is a bottle maniac. He is in a crib as well and maintaining his temperature. Who would have thought he would be the one progressing the fastest.
One thing I forgot to mention about my postpartum visit....apparently they test all placentas of premature babies. Turns out Justin had an infection. They don't know what it was or where it came from. It could have been that I was slightly dilated and bacteria got in or something. Anyway, the point of me saying this is Noah's water is the one that broke. I firmly believe that he knew they needed to come out. He was in a way protecting his brother because he knew if the pregnancy continued and Justin had an infection he may not have survived. As my friend Sue said it will be interesting to see if that continues as they grow and Noah is the protector.
Tomorrow I am bringing my sister's new camera and taking pictures. I am hopeful that they will find a big crib and get them all in the same one. How fun will that be to get a picture of them all together snuggling in a crib!!
I have gotten so many emails from people letting me know they keep up with the blog. I know I have said it before but I cannot express how much it means to me. With all of the craziness of the past 2 months we are truly blessed to have so many wonderful friends and family. Please keep the comments coming. I love to read them. They keep my spirits up and my energy too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! This is a great update. I am so glad to hear that they are progressing so well. They will be full term before you know and home in your arms! Don't EVEN think about beating yourself up about the breastfeeding. Those nurses are going out of the textbook; I'd like to see them try. You just do what you can and want. You are their mommy, you know what's best.

I loved the little note about Noah...he's their angel.

Hope to talk again soon!

Love, yvonne

Kim Little said...

I'm glad to hear they are doing so great. It will certainly be interesting to see how their personalities develop!

amc said...

Can't wait to see them again - and in the meantime to see the photos - hope the camera is up to it! Love you so much, Ace. You are amazing! I hadn't heard about the octuplet lady breastfeeding - is she out of her MIND??? Even if she feeds 2 at a time - seriously - she will constantly have babies attached...well, whatever works. Any it's whatever is good for you. Cheek to cheek :)
Look forward to dinner tomorrow - I think Thursday is balloon man at Friday's!!

gino215 said...

Cribs are they going to be home before my next visit that is fine with me. Wow boys you are doing wonderful and hell that women is crazy and won't be able to produce enough to keep up with 8 babies she has no idea what she is in for you keep up the great work you are doing and pump.