Friday, January 9, 2009

I got to see the babies today!! I was so excited. I didn't want to hold them. Just paranoid of giving them anything. Tomorrow I am definitely holding them though. Mason and Justin are doing well. Mason weighs 3 pounds 4 ounces!!! He was dressed in a little outfit today. He looked so cute! It was a preemie outfit and it was still huge on him. Amazing that I actually thought he looked like he had fattened up! It is all relative. Justin looked good too. I could see his face for really the first time. He is still having his feeding issues. He threw up this afternoon but seemed to tolerate his 6 PM and 9 PM feeds well. He had a big poop and that seemed to be one of the reasons for the feeding problem. not sure why he threw up today but i guess we will see how it goes. They are still feeding him over 30 minutes and have just started to fortify the milk with calories. Noah is up to 2 pounds 7 ounces which is great! He is back on the CPAP and that seems to have helped the Brady's. He is paler than the other 2 and is definitely anemic. I spoke to the Dr. today and he explained that as they get older their bone marrow starts to make the red blood cells. At this point if they transfuse him it could comprimise his ability to make his own blood. So they will wait as long as possible. He is not acting or looking particularly sick and since the brady's have decreased they would rather try to get him to correct the anemia himself. Obviously if he needs the blood they will give it to him but he seems stable right now. he still looks so tiny especially compared to his brothers but he is just our little peanut. I know he is going to start gaining weight andthat is going to help him. he just needed a little extra time on the CPAP. It is so hard. I know I am supposed to expect setbacks. 2 steps forward one step back. I tell myself that over and over. It is still devastating when there is a step back. I know I have a lifetime of worry ahead of me and it has clearly started already. Thankfully the nurses are taking good care of them and I know they will make sure he gets what he needs.
I got my bloodwork results and unfortunately I am still not therapeutic. Which means I get to keep giving myself the injections. I am bruised all over becasue of them and I have to say, I am a bit depressed about it. I am hopeful that Monday will be my last day. 20 days of injections. yuck. Bob's pink eye is getting a little better. he rubs the crap out of it and so it continues to swell. He should be able to go back monday to the hospital.
Logan had a good week at school. He is having some bedtime issues. doesn't want to go to sleep. I guess he is afraid he will miss something. he has been waking up in the middle of the night also. Bob and i are pretty tired. But i guess we should get used to that! He is getting to be a pretty good dancer and loves to play ring around the rosie. He is truly a joy and he makes everything worthwhile.

2 comments:

gino215 said...

Ok glad to see that you seen them. They are doing still things to be expected for their age nothing to crazy which is just what you want. Soon you will be trying to feed them with a bottle.

leslie said...

Geez, Tracey, My heart races as I read , empathizing with your anxiety over your babies. " How can the medical staff be so casual about everything?" They act like it is all so normal and it IS, but these are YOUR babies and it is so personal. I remember. First they tell me Conor's right lung collapsed. OK.... he has another one. Then a few hours later they come in and tell me his other lung has collapsed. OMG!! He has no lungs? You get all irrational.....I'm an RN for God sakes. I know exactly what they are talking about, but this is different . This is MY baby. It is devistating. Weeks later they tell you, " He is going to start eating, now . We'll give him 6ccs of formula and see how he does. If he does well, we will increase it a few ccs at a time , per day." I asked how much he would have to be eating before he could go home and they said something like over 400ccs. I broke down and started crying. 400ccs? We'll be here forever. But, when things start progressing, and they get the hang of eating ,they progress quickly. At least he was my first baby and I had nothing keeping me away from the NICU. I stayed there as long as they would let me and I worked there , so when they did a procedure and I could not be there, I would go down to the OR lounge and visit with my co- workers. Anyway, I know exaclty how you feel. Just know, they ARE doing everything possible for your boys and they WILL come home some day and they WILL grow big and strong and go to school and you will get 3 times as many hugs every day all day as the rest of us get. You are very lucky. And your husband is amazing. I have tears in my eyes....I admire you both so much. Thanks for keeping us posted. Leslie