Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I didn't feel like writing last night. Sunday was such a great day and then I walked in yesterday and every alarm was going off. I tried to hold Mason but he just kept dsat'ing and they had to put him back. When he eats he can't seem to get enough oxygen. They are going to extend his feedings over 40 minutes to see if that helps. he digests it all but for some reason during the feed he can't get it down. Justin had to go back on his canula. he was having a significant amount of brady's and just needed the help again. He also has not been gaining weight and actually has lost some. Not a good sign. So they are going up on his feeds tonight. He didn't tolerate the fortifying but seems to burn through the breast milk and so the other option is to try to give him more. Noah is looking incredibly pale. He is very anemic and they still haven't transfused him. I get why they don't want to do it but I can't stand seeing him so pale. His vitals are ok on the CPAP but he is still having brady's now and then. I was very unhappy with his nurse yesterday. It annoys me when I walk in and am standing by the isolet and the nurse sees me and doesn't acknowledge that she is taking care of my baby. even if they are busy it is nice for them to say I will be right there. Most of the nurses do. It is a select few who I don't care for. For some reason Noah seems to have a different nurse everyday. I don't know if no one has picked him as a primary or what but i really feel like he needs some consistancy. I feel like they don't know him and therefore won't know if he is acting different. I will call tonight and see how their weights are and see how they seem. I guess I am just having a bad day. The ups and downs are like a roller coaster. 2 steps forward and one step back. I keep reminding myself. Yesterday Noah's nurse told me they were putting him on amoxicillan prophilactictly. I asked her why now, today. he does have a kidney isse. It is called a duplicate system and basically he has 2 tubes going from the kidney to the bladder instead of one. She had no clue why they were doing it. I told her I wanted to talk to the dr. When the doctor came she told me the nurse must have misunderstood. They were not starting antibiotics. I was so annoyed that the nurse misunderstood. I mean really, get it together. Read the chart or take better notes. That's the kind of stuff that gets me upset.
One good thing is I do not have to continue the injections for my blood thinner. I am very happy about that. So now I just have to take pills once a day and then get bloodwork twice a week for 3 months. Great news. Although I would really like to have a few glasses of wine and I am not allowed to drink on the blood thinners.
Logan is doing well. we are trying to get him to eat a little better. Wow, what a pain in the butt. All he wants is crackers and applesauce. He ate 2 bites of chicken tonight. I was so proud he actually tried it. I am hoping he is eating well before the babies come home or he will probably want to go back on a bottle!!!
Anyway, I am hopeful tomorrow will be a good day. my friend kim is coming to visit and to see the boys. She has been sick and unable to visit so I am excited for her to mee them.
I hope everyone is doing well and I promise tomorrow not to be such a downer!!

7 comments:

amc said...

Good days and bad - Ups and downs...each day is a new day and with all the love and prayers going to you and the boys, I know they are all going to be GREAT! Just picture Logan dumping out his bag of balls and you'll get a smile on your face :) Love you so much - you & Bob are an inspiration to me!!!

leslie said...

tracey, Your hormones are all out of wack too trying to get back to normal levels. It does a number on your emotions.

Is Mason feeding from a bottle? It is so hard for them to learn to suck and breath at the same time. something they have to learn to coordinate. most babies learn it in utero sucking their thumb even though they don't really breath like we do.

I think I'll go have that glass of wine for you and toast to your boys. TTYS

gino215 said...

I told their would be days like these. But they don't last forever. It is horrible i know.I'm sending you,bob,& logan big hugs. love all the pics they are filling out.Tell P.s have their caffiene level check make sure their still theraputic

Brie said...

Hang in there Tracy...
A great hour kangarooing with Mommy...
A good day sleeping, resting, and sucking the binky...
or a few moments of desats from a little indigestion or a little weight loss from a large poop...
try not to get discouraged. You and your family have been so strong throughout these weeks which probably seem like months. The boys are on the right track.
It's always a good thing to have a little xtra flow/ support via the nasal cannula. It prevents them from working to hard to breath on their own and burning calories.
We're all praying for them to pack on the ounces.

Lorraine & John said...

Tracey, I've just had my daily look at the blog and it sounds as though you had a rough day yesterday.

I just wanted to tell you that you are doing one hell of a job. What you and Bob have been through this past 4 weeks would wear even the strongest parents down but you are so upbeat and positive virtually 100% of the time.

I know how I used to feel when my babies were sick and the worry even now and they are ancient!!!!! You have everything in quadruple with your little boys and when one of them is doing well sometimes it's negated by one of the others having a slight set-back. Just imagine in the future -4 x laughter, 4 x tears and 4 x daughter-in-laws!!!!!!

Quite franky I think we need to share a bottle of wine, some really nice chocolate and have a good chat - hahaha my answer for everything. See you later this evening Mrs C.
L
x

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Tracey! You're a real inspiration to all parents everywhere!! Every time I start to complain about being uncomfortable (4 1/2 weeks to go) I stop myself and think of everything you and Bob have been through. From carrying three babies for as long as you did...to everything you've been through the past month. You guys are amazing!! And your boys are ADORABLE...all 4 of them!!

Anonymous said...

l