Saturday, January 31, 2009

It has been a couple days. I don't even know what day it is anymore. I am exhausted. I cannot update the blog from my laptop for some reason and so I am falling behind. Bob has been so busy with work he is on the computer every night.
The boys are hanging in there. They ended up transfusing Mason because he was not improving with the canula. That happened Thursday I think. I was ok with it because I really felt like it would push him along. I saw him Friday and he didn't seem to do any better. His color is better but that's about it. Today I saw him and he still continues to dsat even on the canula with like 30% oxygen which isn't good. Especially at 35 weeks. I spoke to Melinda his nurse tonight and they bumped him up to a liter and now he seems to be doing better. They lowered the oxygen to 21 percent which is room air. I am glad about that but am still concerned that he needs to be on it. He is up to 5 pounds 2 ounces.
Justin is doing well. He is looking very pale and had a couple brady's today./ He sats at 96-100 but he is periodically tachachartic or however you spell it. Basically his heart rate is up in the 160's and 170's. If that becomes consistent, they will transfuse him also. So that is kind of hanging out there. He takes his bottles every other feeding which is good. I was there today to give him a bottle and I liked feeding him. I am the worst at burping them though. I sucked at it with Logan and am even worse with these tiny little peanuts. It feels so strange to try to move them around. I am afraid of hurting them. Their necks are very fragile and I have to be careful not to move it the wrong way because that can actually cause them to brady.
And little Noah. Well, yesterday I was holding Noah and he had a very serious brady. In fact the nurse had to take him and they could not get him to come back up. He turned blue. I thought I was going to die. I felt like screaming for someone to save my baby. I have never been so scared in my life. Except maybe when they told me I was going to have to deliver my babies 12 weeks early. I must have called 3 times after I left yesterday to check on him. He has been doing ok since then. I saw him today and he looked good. He is dsating also and I wonder what they will plan to do. While I sat there today Noah's nurse was feeding him while I fed Mason. One of the leads that measures his heart rate came off. As a result the monitor alarmed. For anyone who has had a baby in the NICU you know that sound. For 7 weeks I have seen all of my babies brady, dsat, get stuck with needles, have tubes coming from all over, get pricked on their heals, lay there with masks on their faces and on and on. But something about what happened with Noah yesterday scared me so bad that when the monitor went off today my whole body froze. I wanted to scream for it to stop. The alarm really meant nothing becasue the lead was just off but I couldn't stand the sound of that alarm.
Monday Bob and I are having a family meeting with the doctors, nurses and social worker to discuss the next steps, when the babies may come home and what to expect when they do. Including how to care for them since they are so susceptible to illnesses and they will be released at the height of the flu season. I hope that we will get a lot of answers. I am afraid that they are not where they are supposed to be and that these issues are an indication of long term problems. Maybe I am just overtired and trying to do too much. Anyway, I will keep you all posted on the meeting.
Tomorrow is the superbowl and I am routing for Arizona. I wish I could have a bottle of wine and just relax for the game. Unfortunately the coumadin doesn't allow me to drink so I will just focus on relaxing without it. Yah, right.
Hope everyone enjoys the game.

3 comments:

amc said...

Ace - you are truly amazing. I love you and the babies and we are ALL praying for them. They are strong like their mommy & daddy and will make it through & one day you'll be saying "I can't believe I was worried about them!" Hang in there, "dong sang." I love you!!!

Lorraine & John said...

Tracey & Bob. I cried reading your latest blog. Your pain and worry came through. You have had so many ups and downs over the past 7 weeks and our hearts go out to you both. We love you so much and we wish we could take some of your pain and worry away from you.

You are such a special family and John and I are always here to listen, help out, eat and drink with you (hurry and get off that medication will you).

This time next year those 3 little peanuts will be running around like crazy and you will be so dizzy with all the activity. We feel honoured to be able to share your family with you.

Stay strong friends and keep those positive thoughts flowing.


x

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Tracey. It sounds like you guys have had a rough few days...but if those little guys are only half as strong as their mom & dad they'll be just fine! You guys are truly amazing and an inspiration to us all!!

Here's hoping you can get off the coumadin and on to the vino real soon. :-)