Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wow, in just 2 days so much has happened!! Forgive me if I repeat myself. First, all 3 are off their cannulas!! I couldn't believe it. I went in yesterday and they decided in rounds to try Noah and Mason. They are doing great!! They have little drifts, mostly during feeds but don't require stimulation to get them back on track. Mason is a whopping 4 pounds 1 ounce, he is HUGE!! Who would have thought I would ever say that about a 4 pound baby. It is all relative. Justin is up to 3 pounds 8 ounces and Noah is 2 pounds 15 ounces. So close to 3 pounds I can't believe it!! It is so wonderful to hold them and not have so many wires. All they really have on them are the leads that monitor their heart rates, temperature and breaths per minute. plus the pulse ox on their foot. Seems like a lot but considering everything they had before that's nothing!
All 3 are sucking on their pacifiers and so they have begun to start bottle feeding them. Well, trying to. Justin took a little bit yesterday and today I fed Noah almost a whole bottle! I couldn't believe it. It was so amazing!! It was awkward at first because he is so small. i had to learn how to hold him and then try to burp him. Wow, that was not easy. I was so afraid to hurt him. Theresa, one of their nurses was like, you can hit him a little harder. It was funny. Theresa is great because whenever I come in she comes right over and asks what do you want to do today? What's your time frame and she tries to squeeze in as much as possible in the couple hours that I am there. I often think about what I can do to thank the nurses for giving my children such care and love. I really believe that even though my babies came so early it was truly because God knew those nurses would be the angels taking care of them and helping them to thrive.
Anyway, I loved looking right into Noah's eyes while he ate. he was wide awake. It really tuckered him out but he didn't brady at all which is really great. Think about all that he has to accomplish just to take a bottle. he has to remember to suck, swallow, and breath. Quite a lot for just a little guy! There was a guy there while I was feeding him. i guess he is the dad of one of the babies. He was so annoying. He would not stop talking and he was so damn loud. I was annoyed because i felt like that was supposed to be such a bonding experience for me and Noah and he was intruding. That is the one thing about being in the NICU. Most of the time it is quiet but there are times when it is just bustling with activity.
I tried to give Justin a bottle as well but he was asleep and really not interested so i will try again Friday. Mason didn't take to the bottle at all. They tried last night and i guess he brady'd and just didn't tolerate it. So funny that he would have trouble at 4 pounds and Noah would suck down the whole thing. I guess he is just trying to catch up to his brothers!!
I had my postpardum follow up appointment today. My OB is just the best. He said I am healing well and gave me a clean bill of health. My blood work is stable for the most part though being on the blood thinner has caused me to bruise very easily and the bruises from the injection sites not to heal. So I have a lot of black and blue marks. Very attractive. But a small price to pay.
Tomorrow I am headed into work for a full day. I know I will be exhausted as I get up in the middle of the night to pump. But it will be worth it to have the time when the babies come home. I can't believe it has been 5 weeks. It has flown by. I won't be able to go to the hospital tomorrow and I am so sad. How can I not see my babies!!! But I know it is important that I have the time with my babies when they come home.
I took some new pictures with my crappy camera and will upload them. This weekend our first order of business is to get a new camera.
That's all for now. I will think of 10 things i forgot to say as soon as I post this!

3 comments:

amc said...

Oh my God - I can't wait till I can go see the little guys again. I swear my cold is GONE!! I love the photos and they are growing and getting so big and strong! They are just beautiful and all the love and thoughts and prayers are going right to them so they can come home soon...well, I guess you guys gotta prepare for that first, right? :) Love you so much!!!!!

gino215 said...

Way to go Noah!!!The pics are great. Justin true man I want it the easiest way possible down the tube.lol. Little stinker. They are doing amazing and so are Bob and you. They are on the right track to come home.Just now are growers and feeders!!! Don't think of any bombs just positive thoughts.

Kim Gal #1 said...

That is so great, I am so happy they're doing well! They have their mommy and daddy's determination and strength, that's for sure. I can't wait to see them again! I'll talk to you this weekend...
Love,k