Saturday, January 10, 2009

I went to the hospital this afternoon with my sister Allison. I was so excited becasue I knew I was going to hold at least one of the babies! I could only stay for a couple hours becasue of course I still have Logan and want to spend time with him as well. So when I got there I immediatly held Justin. He looked great. He is 3 pounds 1 ounce still but doing well. He is getting better with his feeds and didn't have any aspirates today. They had to stop fortifying the milk because he just couldn't tolerate it so they will wait a day or two before trying again. It is pretty common in preemies to have reflux issues but they say they do outgrow it. We put Justin back in and Theresa, Mason and justin's nurse asked if i wanted to hold Noah and Mason at the same time. I hadn't even considered that since I was so used to them having too many wires and IV's and stuff. Now that they don't have IV's and Mason is on the nasal canula's it is easier to get them out. I was so excited. That was the first time the two of them had been next to eachother in life. Theresa took a picture which I will post tomorrow. It was really cool. Kind of sunk in that I have more than one baby coming home!! When you are only holding one at a time, even though they are differnet babies it is almost like you have one. But when I was holding both of them it really sunk in. It was the coolest feeling!! Both Maosn and Noah have very dark hair. I can't believe how much Mason has!! They were both so cozy and comfy lying on my chest. Before I held him Noah was really antsy in his isolet. He just looked uncomfortable. Then when I held him he totally relaxed. After about a half hour I had to get going. Allison was great. I can imagine for guests it can get a little boring sitting there with me while I hold the babies. I can sit there for hours and it flies by. Once Noah went back in he seemed uncomfortable again. he really is very pale and I felt horrible leaving. When I called tonight his nurse kim said he had a huge poop!! When I told her how uncomfortable he had been she said that was probably why. she said she wouldn't be surprised if he lost an ounce!! Of course i don't want him losing weight but she said he was happy as a clam and so I feel much better! Oh, I forgot to mention that Sonetta (not sure how to spell her name) who is Mason's nurse, told me that everytime she has him he poops all over the isolet and tonight he pooped all over her arm and hand!! She is so funny. I can tell she just adores him and it makes me feel so good when they are like that. I know they are taking good care of them. She also told me that they were working on getting Mason to take the pacifier. She said they would probably try moving him to a bottle soon!! I am so excited. I can't imagine how it will feel to actually feed him myself!! She also said he is up to 3 pounds 6 ounces!!! He is huge compared to noah. he is almost a whole pound bigger!
So today was a good day. I still worry about them all the time but am glad i am able to go see them again. I will go there again tomorrow morning and then spend the afternoon with Logan. Today Bob took Logan to his friend Jay's house who has a dog. he had such a great time. he loves dogs!! he misses my parents dog Murphy so much. when he goes to my sister's house he runs around yelling dog and looking for him. I would love to get him a puppy but have zero interest in taking care of one. Maybe when they are all over 3 I will consider it. And when we have a yard. Who wants to walk a dog in this miserable weather!!

2 comments:

Gramps said...

Great to hear the boyz are doing so well. Mom and I love hearing about them. Dogs and boys go together like peanut butter and jelly. Murphy misses Logan as much as Logan misses him.

We're still fighting our colds, but the weather here is more conducive recovery than what we see going on up your way.

All our love.

amc said...

Watching you hold your babies is one of the greatest joys ever :) Especially watching you hold more than one!!! Selfishly, though, I must admit I can't wait till I can hold 'em! xoxo