Saturday, January 17, 2009

Last night Bob and I went to the hospital together. Our wonderful neighbors John and Lorraine came over and played with Logan and put him to bed. All 3 boys were doing well. We spoke to Sahetta (sp?) who is Mason's nurse. She is great. I think I have mentioned her. She loves Mason. She said he was a little cold earlier that day and so she wasn't going to bathe him. It turned out something was wrong with the isolet and it wasn't warming him properly. As I sat there waiting to bathe justin I noticed that he was breathing really fast. I was watching the monitor and he was taking over 100 breaths per minute. way too many. I asked his nurse about it. She said it is called tachypnea. At first she thought it was probably just intermittant but he kept it up for a while. She decided to check him out manually and see if the monitor was accurate. He was on his belly and she turned him over and took his temp. he was a bit hot which can cause the rapid breathing. She took off his tshirt and put him on his belly. He seemed to calm down but she promised me she would keep a close eye on him. As a result of that, she decided not to bathe him. So that left Noah. I was able to give him a nice sponge bath. It was very cool but also a little sad. All I kept thinking was he isn't supposed to be here. He shouldn't have to endure all of this yet. I felt so bad for him. Imagine the trauma this is to them. I remember when Logan was a newborn and the least bit stimulation exhausted him and he was full term. I can't imagine how exhausting all of this is for them. And little noah is so tiny. He is 2 pounds 11 ounces now which isn't even justin and Mason's birth weight.

After the bath I held Mason and Noah and Bob held Justin. Mason felt so heavy! He is 3 pounds 12 ounces. Justin is now 3 pounds 5 ounces. he gained weight!! I have to call in a little bit and see if he lost tonight. he went up like 4 ounces so i expect he won't maintain that. They are still having brady's and dsats but the nurses tell me that will continue and decrease as they mature. Mason may try a bottle next week as they approach 34 weeks gestational.

I saw them today for a little while and held justin. They are just getting so cute looking like babies now instead of preemies.

Bob will head to the hospital tomorrow and I will spend the day with logan. I am looking forward to that. He is such a joy.

Monday I am headed back to work. It will actually be a good distraction for me.

1 comment:

Kim Gal #1 said...

Hey guys,

Noah is adorable, so glad to see him off the cpap. I am so happy I got to meet them on Wednesday, they are all beautiful!! I am glad to hear that they are gaining weight and that Noah did well with his tranfusion. And Trace, I completely agree with Lorraine that you should not worry about the poss. hemangiomas - they almost always go away on their own even if they get bigger and most require no treatment at all. Good luck going back to work tomorrow, I will talk to you soon!
Love. Kim